By John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones
Have a look at how narrative has formed homosexual and lesbian cultureA Sea of news: The Shaping energy of Narrative in homosexual and Lesbian Cultures: A Festschrift for John P. De Cecco is an unforgettable selection of own narratives that explores the historic, mental, and sociological contexts of homosexuality in destinations starting from Nazi Germany to Colorado. a few of the in demand authors during this assortment contain David Bergman, Louis staff, Diana Hume George, and Ruth Vanita. students in homosexual and lesbian reviews, political hobbies, cultural experiences, and narratology, and an individual drawn to homosexual heritage probably want to discover those exciting narratives on issues equivalent to intercourse and sin within the South, promoting homosexual literature sooner than Stonewall, turning out to be up homosexual in India, and the tale of an interracial male couple dealing with homophobic lack of knowledge in a small town.A Sea of reports additionally comprises artistic fiction and nonfiction love tales, conflict tales, oral tales, and bibliographies, and a gorgeous post-Stonewell and post-modern narrative set on a South African seascape that tells the tale of 2 specialist males and the potential for a kiss. for a whole record of contents, please stopover at our site at www.haworthpressinc.com.This e-book will give you various narratives that disguise a variety, together with:
- memoirs of homosexual Holocaust survivors and the emergence of the 1st lesbian and homosexual booklet membership in its wake
- homophobia within the place of work and using coming-out tales to reinforce office range
- the institution of a gay/straight alliance in a Salt Lake urban highschool that's seriously ruled via Mormons
- gay literary background that examines the works of Langston Hughes in addition to Martin Duberman, Paul Monette, and Edmund White on the subject of the lesbian 70s
- creative nonfiction a couple of woman's love for an additional lady, her lifelong pal
- Provincetown's impressive neighborhood reaction to the AIDS epidemicA selection of chapters written via the colleagues and previous scholars of John P. De Cecco, pioneering editor of the magazine of Homosexuality, A Sea of reports takes its name from a word Dr. De Cecco utilized in his keynote handle to the “History and reminiscence” convention at Allegheny university in 1997. This convention sparked the assumption for this number of essays that study the gay event via ancient, mental, and sociological viewpoints and homosexuality in literature. those brave tales will support readers to grasp themselves extra deeply, to spot wih others, and to interpret homosexual and lesbian stories in several narrative types.
Read Online or Download A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures PDF
Best gay & lesbian books
The issues I tackle during this booklet are one of the least studied within the soci ology of technological know-how and data. half I is a critique of the declare that there are parallels among historic mysticism and sleek physics, and a sociological research of this declare as a technique in highbrow clash. This learn needs to.
Traditional knowledge holds that same-sex marriage is a merely glossy innovation, an idea born of an openly sleek way of life that was once unprecedented in 19th century the US. yet as Rachel desire Cleves demonstrates during this eye-opening publication, same-sex marriage is rarely new. Born in 1777, Charity Bryant used to be raised in Massachusetts.
Between his eccentric although strictly principled workforce of pals, Lord Richard Vane is the confidant on whom each person relies for suggestion, ethical rectitude, and discreet counsel. but whilst Richard has an issue, he turns to his valet, a fixer of remarkable genius—and the thing of Richard’s private wishes.
- Negotiating Sexual Idioms: Image, Text, Performance.
- Masculinities and culture
- Resilience: Queer Professors from the Working Class
- Islamic Homosexualities: Culture, History, and Literature
- Le Reve
Additional info for A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures
New York: Columbia University Press, 1996. Seel, Pierre. I, Pierre Seel, Deported Homosexual: A Memoir of Nazi Terror. New York: Basic Books, 1995. Sherman, Martin. Bent. New York: Applause Theatre Book Publishers, 1998. Shirer, William L . The Nightmare Years 1930-1940. Boston: Little, Brown, 1984. Shirer, William L . The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1960. 42 A SEA OF STORIES Sparing, Frank. . wegen Vergehen nach §175 verhaftet: Die Verfolgung der Düsseldorfer Homosexuellen während des Nationalsozialismus.
Indeed, the fiction and poetry in early gay journals accomplished the important work of providing readers, in Selling Gay Literature Before Stonewall 45 Streitmatter's words, "with positive depictions of gay people," probably the only place they were likely to find them (p. 26). So important was fiction to early gay and lesbian publications that ONE, the pioneering gay journal, early on established a prize for the best short story. Explicitly lesbian and gay journals such as ONE, The Ladder, or The Mattachine Review, were published in small runs that were extremely difficult to get and, therefore, did not usually fall into the hands of people just coming out.
The Nightmare Years 1930-1940. Boston: Little, Brown, 1984. Shirer, William L . The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1960. 42 A SEA OF STORIES Sparing, Frank. . wegen Vergehen nach §175 verhaftet: Die Verfolgung der Düsseldorfer Homosexuellen während des Nationalsozialismus. Düsseldorf: Grupello Verlag, 1997. Steakley, James. The Homosexual Emancipation Movement in Germany. Salem, N H : Ayer, 1982. Tielman, Rob. The Persecution of Homosexuals in the Netherlands During the Second World War.
A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures by John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones